dedicated to St. Agatha was built in 1504. In 1670 the church was
replaced by a larger one on the same site. It seems that the 1504
church was partially pulled down and the part retained was incorporated
in the 1670 building.
the main altar was restored and the marble statue of St. Agatha was
elevated on a high pedestal above the altar. In 1912-13 other work
was done to embellish the church amongst which the bell tower on the
right hand side of the façade and two lateral rooms which served
as a sacristy.
years 1957-61 were the years during which structural alterations were
done. Besides restoring the entire side walls of the aisle, two small
side chapels were added. In 1957 the chapel dedicated to the Immaculate
Heart of Mary was added followed by a smaller one dedicated to St.
Paul the Apostle in 1960 to commemorate the 19th Centenary of the
Apostle’s Shipwreck on the Island.
on an underground crypt was hewn in the chamber on the right hand
side of the main altar. In it lies the remains of the Servant of God
Joseph De Piro, founder of the Missionary Society of St. Paul and
the deceased MSSP members.